18 November 2009

A Personalized Memory Game!

I saw this in Stitched in Time craft book by Alicia Paulson.  She has a whole bunch of easy, fun projects for beginners, so I would recommend getting it if this project is about your level of sewing.  I made some changes as well as an addition to this particular one, and she doesn't have any photos or illustrations in her book except for the final product, so this is for the visual learner :).

Using the free Picasa photo software (thanks, Ann) you make a collage of 6 photos, adding space in between the photos to give you room to cut.  Alicia did hers square, but I couldn't figure out how to do that without printing each photo separately, so mine ended up being 4"X 3 1/2".  Print them on photo transfer paper, inverting the images if necessary/wanted. 

Alicia used wool felt as her center layer, but I was hesitant to use my expensive, colorful, wool felt for such a lowly role.  So, this is what I used:

Top layer:  a SMOOTH batiste (cotton), which will take the image well (I used an off-white) Iron your images to this
2nd layer:  A natural, cotton batting that is pretty dense and smooth
3rd layer:  a very stiff interfacing (not the iron-on kind)
4th layer:  facing OUT, a cotton with a small, frequently repeating pattern, or a solid color

Make sure to iron your layers flat separately before assembling

Stitch around each image, matching top thread to top layer and bobbin thread to back layer.
Start in the middle, and it's helpful if you can lower your machine to table level or have a platform you can add--or pin around the edges and in the middle.
When turning corners, keep your needle in the down position.



Using your pinking sheers (or borrow your mom's, because everyone's mom has some, right?) and cut straight down the middle first.  That will be your guide as to how much white border you will leave on ALL the sides.


Bag Tutorial
I decided such a beatuiful stack of cards needed a matching bag to keep them together when not in use, or easy to take on a trip.  

The width will be the total of the card circumference plus 1" (mine was 4 + 4 + 3 1/2 + 3 1/2 + 1 = 16")  The height will depend on how many cards you make.  You can always trim it down, so be generous.  

Fold the lengthwise in half, right sides together 1/4" on 2 sides, leaving 1/2" open (back-stitch on either side) about 1 " from the top of the bag.



Press the bottom into the side to made a triangle.  Mark a line that will measure 3 3/4" across the triangle and sew.  Repeat on other side.

Fold the top of the bag towards the inside, making sure your opening in the seam is on the right side.  Stitch around the top of the bag on either side of that opening, creating a casing for your ribbon to thread through.



Some of the photos I used were my kids' favorite toys, images of trips we've been on, cousins, grandparents, and photos that I just loved.  I have already imagined doing this project as a black and white series, or you could even let your kids in on the fun and let them take some photos.

email me if you have any questions!



32 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I'm overwhelmed. What a great idea! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom did something similar for this for all the cousins so that we could remember the cousins. I love that idea because by the time we all get together some of the littles forget each other. These are darling Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I have seen some of these matching games but I like how you printed off your own pictures. That way it makes it more personal. Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that!! I am so glad you have a blog so you can still inspire me even when we are across the country from eachother!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU! I have been racking my brain trying to think of something I would make my brother-in-law family for Christmas. This will be perfect.
    Love your addition of the bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic Christmas gift idea; I think I'll do one for my sister's family. I would really like to do one for my own boys, but I'm not sure I would want to put that kind of time and effort into the hands of my little "destructerinos," as I sometimes refer to my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun! Love it, love it! Yes, don't use up all your felt. (I can get you more)

    ReplyDelete
  10. .. .. ..
    HUSKER DU YOU MAKE ONE FOR ME?! YA?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great gift to your family. This is something they'll talk about with each other for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are so neat Katy! Is that MD I see? You are such a good mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool. My kids are too old for this, but, I'm thinking those photo squares look an awful lot like quilt squares. Everyone loves a photo quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I have a question: how much would you charge to do it for me? I'm serious! Do you have an Etsy listing for this? Because it is amazingly fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katy,

    Thanks for posting the instructions, this is about my level of sewing, I am definitely going to try this for my kids for Christmas.

    Cousin Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow--what a darling little idea! It would be perfect for my sisters children for Christmas. I am an ultra beginner in the sewing dept. I just bought a new sewing machine....I am trying to decide if I could do this?! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought I saw MD too. Wow. This seems beyond my ability but I have been wanting a DIY memory game. Good thing my mom, the seamstress, will be here in December!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this, Katy! Thanks for the tutorial - I'm going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. will you make one for me? I have no sewing ability. . if you are interested, please email me and let me know how much it would cost and we can figure out the particulars. . thanks!
    kschaider at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This may be my favorite thing you have made. Thanks for showing--I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. too dang cute! I'm so going to make my friends help me make this because this is Ava's fav game right now. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These cards are so great! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We did the same thing once, but we cheated...we just did wallet sized photo prints, backed then and laminated them with the real stiff stuff. I love the bag and all the hard work you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kristy,
    Contact me at rkdill@gmail.com and we'll chat....

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm with Kristy. I love several of the pictures you included. Can I contact you too?

    ReplyDelete
  26. AHHH I love it! Just need my mother in laws sewing machine and my mother's pinking sheers and some moral support and I'm good to go! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for this great idea! I made one for my sister's family and they love it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this idea! So happy to have found your blog. I will be exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is amazing! It looks great with the photos you've chosen. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Be a lamb & tell me what's on your mind.